Devices for Your Goals Smart Thermostats
What It Is
A smart thermostat can make your home more energy efficient and comfortable. Smart thermostats give you the ability to control and schedule your home’s heating and cooling system by mobile app and voice (either with a voice assistant built in or by pairing with a smart speaker). Smart thermostats can also pair with other smart devices so you can automate adjustments based on other events. And, many smart thermostats have the ability to learn your habits and adjust automatically for comfort and efficiency.
How It Helps
A smart thermostat can make controlling the temperature in your home easier, and make your living space more comfortable and energy efficient. Here are some examples of what you may be able to do with a smart thermostat:
- Turn on or off your heating/cooling system, adjust the temperature, and change the system settings by using the mobile app or your voice via a smart speaker.
- Check and adjust the thermostat remotely with the app.
- Schedule specific times of day where the heating/cooling system should be turned on or off based on the household’s needs.
- Find out the temperature of your home, whether the thermostat is on, and what it is currently set to, using a smart speaker or app.
- Reduce energy use and cost.
Enable energy savings settings that will learn patterns in your household and make adjustments based on daily routines and local weather, reducing energy use and cost.
- Adjust the thermostat for a room that is always warmer or cooler than the rest of the house.
By installing and connecting an additional temperature sensor in this room, you can easily adjust the thermostat according to that area of the house when you are going to be spending time there.
- Pair with other smart devices to create automations and routines.
With one voice command, such as “Good night,” set a smart speaker to lower the temperature using the smart thermostat, turn off the bedside lamp using a smart plug, lock the front door’s smart lock, and play white noise.
Choosing Your Device
Choosing the right device for you depends on many factors, including:
- What you want to do with the device
- How you want to do it
- Your accessibility needs
- The layout of your home
- Your internet connection
- What devices you would like to integrate together
Once you have a good idea of what you want and need, research which products can help. Reviews can be very useful to understand each product’s strengths and limitations.
The following guides from Wirecutter review a number of smart home devices, including smart thermostats:
- These Smart Home Devices Can Enhance Independence for People With Disabilities and Mobility Needs
- The Best Smart Home Devices to Help Seniors Age in Place
Below are some of our favorite review websites. Many of them have “best of” lists for smart devices, as well as in-depth reviews of specific products. Try performing a search online using the name of the website plus the device type and the year. For example: The Strategist best smart thermostat 2021.