Devices for Your Goals Smart Doorbells
What It Is
A smart doorbell can connect with Wi-Fi and is often equipped with a video camera, microphone, and speaker. It connects with an app on your smartphone or tablet, and can be integrated with a number of other smart devices. This means you can receive notifications when there is movement near your door, and see, hear, and speak with visitors when you are anywhere in the world.
A smart doorbell can be purchased alone or as part of a package (for example, with a security system).
How It Helps
A smart doorbell can be useful in managing visitors and the entryway to your home. Here are some examples of what you may be able to do with a smart doorbell:
- Receive a notification when there is motion at your door, including an image of what was detected, on your smartphone, tablet, and/or smart speaker/display.
If you use a smart display, you can also ask the display to show you the video feed from the doorbell’s camera.
- See and speak with a visitor outside your door via the app on your smartphone or tablet, or using your smart speaker/display.
For example, use the app on your phone to tell a delivery person to leave a package on your back step while you’re away from the house. Or tell a guest to let themselves in using a code on a smart door lock.
- View the area outside your door.
- Identify a delivery person from a stranger.
- See when mail or a package has arrived.
- View the weather outside your home.
- Integrate with other smart devices for automations.
For example, pair a doorbell with a smart speaker that has control over a smart light bulb. Then create an automation where motion at the doorbell triggers the lightbulb to change color, notifying you of a visitor.
Josh uses a smart security system and smart speakers and displays to live independently with safety and security.Read More About Josh’s Smart Home
Suria integrates numerous smart devices for independence, safety, and convenience at home.Read More About Suria’s Smart Home
Choosing Your Device
Choosing the right device for you depends on many factors, including:
- What you want to do with the device
- How you want to do it
- Your accessibility needs
- The layout of your home
- Your internet connection
- What devices you would like to integrate together
Use our self-assessment to review your unique situation and needs, then read our top tips on how to choose your smart home technology.
Once you have a good idea of what you want and need, research which products can help. Reviews can be very useful to understand each product’s strengths and limitations.
The following guides from Wirecutter review a number of smart home devices, including smart doorbells:
- These Smart Home Devices Can Enhance Independence for People With Disabilities and Mobility Needs
- The Best Smart Home Devices to Help Seniors Age in Place
Below are some of our favorite review websites. Many of them have “best of” lists for smart devices, as well as in-depth reviews of specific products. Try performing a search online using the name of the website plus the device type and the year. For example: Gizmodo best smart doorbell 2021.
Know what device you want but not sure how to fund it? Pennsylvania Assistive Technology Foundation (PATF) can help.Learn About Funding